Photo by Rogiro

An Invitation

God speaks. He speaks into our hearts and minds through people, nature, the church. He also speaks to us through His Word. His Word is His love letter to us, His way of helping us remember who we are and assure us of His promises. His Word is the road map to help us live the passionate adventurous lives He always meant for us.

These blog entries are teasers. Insights and revelations to encourage you to read the bible, the greatest piece of literature that was written especially for you, God's child.

Friday, September 11, 2009

Tow Truck


Romans 8:28 (NASB) And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

What do you do when you're in a hopeless situation?

Two days ago, I discovered that my car tires were deliberately punctured. I drove with deflating tires to a gas station and spiraled down the slippery slope of self-pity as I pondered on the work-like-a-dog-and-pay-your-bills trap. I was feeling hopeless, deflated, helpless. This didn't get me anywhere. So I called emergency assistance and waited for a tow truck.

As I sat still in my car, I remembered Romans 8:28 and tried my best to chew on God's word until it seeped into the cells of my mind and heart.

God causes. God is sovereign. Nothing causes Him--not human need nor want nor prayers. God is not a myth we invented to explain scientific phenomena. We don't cause God. He causes.

God caused light with His word. He caused water. He caused the ground. He caused vegetation. He caused you and me, not the other way around. He caused you to be a new creation when you accepted Christ as your Lord and savior.

If God can cause the earth and universe, then He can definitely cause my tires to be fixed. He can cause safety in my neighborhood. He can cause things to work out in my life.

The tow truck arrived. I wiped my tears and exited my car, which now tilted heavily to the right. I tilted my head and gazed in amazement as the men proceeded to lift my car. They placed trays with wheels under my deflated wheels and attached my car to a pulley on the truck. Two metal ramps slid down and the men pulled my car up to the truck's back.

My tires were on its way to getting vulcanized. My thoughts and spirit were slowly rising. God sent me His tow truck--Romans 8:28.

Has God ever sent you a tow truck? How?

Can't get enough of this tow truck. Romans 8:28 part three tomorrow ;-)

Photo: "5300rod" by Sean 94112 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/10597538@N00/3357193760/)

No comments:

Post a Comment