Photo by Rogiro

An Invitation

God speaks. He speaks into our hearts and minds through people, nature, the church. He also speaks to us through His Word. His Word is His love letter to us, His way of helping us remember who we are and assure us of His promises. His Word is the road map to help us live the passionate adventurous lives He always meant for us.

These blog entries are teasers. Insights and revelations to encourage you to read the bible, the greatest piece of literature that was written especially for you, God's child.

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Flat Tires


Romans 8:28 (NASB) And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Are you going through a trial right now? Do you feel hopeless?

I live in a rough neighborhood. My apartment's been robbed. My car scratched from headlight to taillight, and a lurking voyeur was caught last month by a government official's mistress.

I've taken all of these in stride, but today I cracked. As I reversed my car from the driveway, I didn't notice two nails, pierced and standing on ripped rubber slippers. They punctured my two right tires.

I drove with my deflating tires to the nearest gas station, parked, and through the dense tropical rain, stared as the air seeped out of them, my wet toes squeezing against each other as I avoided muddy puddles on the street and decided on my next course of action. My ego was deflated, my spirit down, and my bangs pasted on my forehead as I blinked away my tears and acid rain.

I was trapped in the gas station, where the employees don't know how to help me. I was stuck, crying, feeling violated and bullied and unsure about my next step.

I work like a dog. I work when I have the flu. But my salary, which pays for rent and a car, can't afford an apartment out of this neighborhood. I felt alone and trapped in a cycle of working, paying, working, paying. No sign of financial growth, a.k.a. a way out of the hood.

I reentered my car and waited for a tow truck. And I remembered Romans 8:28. Let me repeat this powerful verse again--
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

"And we know". God reminded me that it doesn't matter what my circumstance is. I know Him. I know His promises. I decide by faith to believe His word. We know is a decision, an act of faith.

It's good to acknowledge the realities of your trying situation. But do you know God? Do you know His promises to you? Will you act out of fear or faith?

More on Romans 8:28 tomorrow.

Photo by I, Timmy (http://www.flickr.com/photos/74998608@N00/1333823258/)

No comments:

Post a Comment